Rights and Responsibilities
While in our care you are entitled to:
- be treated with care, respect and dignity
- safe and high quality care
- know what services are available in the centre
- be included in decisions and choices about your care
- privacy and confidentiality of provided information
- know before surgery all likely costs that may occur
You may request the use of an interpreter service if required and resources and support for people with special needs will be provided where possible.
You are entitled to a clear explanation by your Doctor of the following:
- Your condition, problem or disease
- Any planned treatment or investigation
- Any alternative procedures available to you
- Possible side effects or after effects, the chances of success and any serious risk involved
Your consent is required before any treatment can commence. By having yourself admitted to Miranda Day Surgery, you have implied general consent for treatment. For operations and anaesthetics, your consent needs to be more specific, and for these Miranda Day Surgery requires your written consent. This should only be signed if you feel suitably informed. You may withdraw your consent and refuse treatment at any time.
- Try to be well informed about your condition and treatment. Please ask questions if you are unsure or do not understand something.
- You have the responsibility to provide, to the best of your knowledge, accurate and complete information about your present condition, past illnesses, hospitalisations, medications and any other matters relating to your health.
- It is in your interests to comply with the prescribed treatment or care and the pre and post-operative instructions. If you do not intend to do this, inform your Doctor or the nurses attending to you at the centre. You will be responsible for your actions if you do not follow the prescribed instructions or refuse any treatment.
- You should attend the recommended follow-up appointments, or advise those concerned if this is not possible.
- You are responsible for the full cost of the services at Miranda Day Surgery. The Doctor’s fees, in general, are partly reimbursed by Medicare. The centre’s fee are met by yourself and, if you are privately insured, either in part or fully, rby your private health fund if you are eligible.
- Please show consideration for other patients, staff and property of Liverpool Day Surgery.
Please feel free to ask questions. By complying with your responsibilities, you are helping us to help you.
Your care in the centre
While we aim to deliver the highest possible standard of care, we realise that there may be times when you are unhappy about a particular aspect of your care or a service we provide to you. We would like to hear about it.
If a problem arises
- In most instances, your Doctor or nurses at the centre will be able to assist you, so tell them first about your problem.
- Should this be unsatisfactory, you should request to see either the Director of Nursing or the Practice Manager. You may submit a written complaint to the Practice Manager of the centre. The management will investigate your complaint and advise you of the outcome or advise you of your options for further action should you be dissatisfied.
- These include taking your concerns to the NSW Government Health Care Complaints Commission.
- Do not hesitate to speak to us if you are not happy about any part of your treatment at Miranda Day Surgery. Our Quality Management programme is aimed at making sure that you receive the best possible care. Your comments and suggestions help us achieve this objective.